How to use the needleless connector correctly
Clinical infusion connectors are divided into heparin caps (with needles) and needle-free infusion connectors. It is an indispensable additional device for connecting the infusion path (indwelling needle, CVC, PICC, etc.) placed in the patient's blood vessel with the infusion set or syringe. In the era of needleless infusion joints, the connection method of the steel needle puncture rubber plug was eliminated, and the needle system was changed to the needleless system. After the infusion set or the syringe was disconnected, a closed and wipeable sterile infusion system was ensured. The advantage is that needles are not needed to avoid needle stick injuries.
Nursing points for needle-free infusion joints
1. Wipe the cross-section and periphery of the various interfaces with a suitable disinfectant (75% ethanol, iodophor, 2% chlorhexidine) to ensure a safe connection between the sterile infusion connector and the catheter.
2. When disinfecting the infusion connector, it is emphasized that there must be a certain amount of friction. Mechanical rubbing for at least 15 seconds is required, depending on the design of the needleless connector, so that the microorganism attached to the rough surface of the infusion connector can be removed.
3. Ensure that the infusion connector is in line with all parts of the infusion device system, and that the connection is tight, reducing leakage and damage.
4. If the infusion connector has blood, TPN, etc., the integrity is impaired or the infusion connector is removed, the infusion connector should be replaced.
5, the optimal interval of needle-free infusion joints is still uncertain, it is recommended to replace at least once every 7d. ("Infusion Treatment Nursing Practice Guide and Implementation Rules").
6. When replacing the new vascular access device (VAD) and the drug delivery device, replace the additional device (infusion street).
7. The frequency of replacing the needleless connector should not be too frequent, generally not exceeding 96 hours. Too frequent replacements do not have any benefit, but instead increase the risk of CLABSI.
Emphasize that the needleless connector should be replaced in the following cases:
1) The needleless connector for any reason is removed;
2) found residual blood or other residues in the needle-free joint;
3) before taking the blood culture from the vascular access device (VAD);
4) When it is determined that it is contaminated;
5) In accordance with organizational policies, procedures (current domestic guidelines), and/or practice guidelines or in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
6. If the end of the infusion connector is a screw port design, the component with it is preferably a screw port design.
The 2016 INS guidelines indicate that there is no clear conclusion as to whether a needle-free joint is required between the vascular access device interface and the continuous infusion delivery device. However, it plays an important role in the clinical treatment and nursing work. Its main purpose is to connect to the vascular access device interface through the drug delivery device and/or the syringe or intermittently infuse through the device to eliminate the acupuncture injury caused by the recommendation. Medical staff use, studies have shown that in the same environment, the use of split film needle-free joints and correct sealing techniques can reduce the incidence of CRBSI. Due to price and medical insurance reimbursement, some domestic hospitals have not used needle-free joints or opaque mechanical valve infusion joints. No matter which infusion joint is used, the principle of aseptic technique should be followed, according to the operation specification, according to the infusion. Joint structure design, reference guide recommendations, clinical work, etc. Maintenance, replacement, use of infusion joints.
Yuhuan Shengjiu Mould Co , Ltd . is a one-time medical device manufacturer and supplier in the mold industry, specializing in the manufacture and supply of Needleless Injection Site , and providing customers with a complete mold configuration program to help and improve the production of disposable medical equipment. . For more information visit: https://www.medicalmould.net